Prep Moochers: When People Think They're Going to Live Off Your Preparedness Supplies...
After receiving your second edition (of Dare To Prepare), I emailed you with questions about how to handle people who don't want to prepare for themselves but are quite willing to take advantage of our preparations. You gave me some wonderful Bible verses and other ideas to use. Now I have devised a way to put people off when those verses don't have any effect and I thought I'd pass it on to you in the event it might help someone else.
I start by telling these people to come on over to my house and then I hand them a list of things to bring and what is expected of them once they arrive. Some don't like the fact that they'll have to sleep on the floor. For others, it's all the work involved. So far, only one person has not turned me down. But then, she and I are so much alike that people even call us by each other's names. I've included that information below.
In the Event of a Disaster, the Following is Provided So You Will Know What is Expected of You Should You Decide to Come to My House
YOU WILL NEED TO BRING:
1. CLOTHING - Nothing fancy - just good, sturdy, easy care clothes. We will probably have to wash by hand and dry on a line, so plan accordingly. There will be no dry cleaning available. Also, bring rain gear.
2. PLAIN BLEACH AND OTHER CLEANERS - Plain bleach will be used in water purification as well as general cleaning. More people means more cleaning to keep a healthy environment.
3. FOOD - No explanation needed.
4. BEDDING OR SLEEPING BAG - I have floor space - not bed space. I also have two dogs who think anything on the floor is theirs! No, I will not put them outside.
5. WEAPONS, AMMO, FISHING GEAR - There will come a time when we will have to hunt and fish for our food. Weapons and ammo will be locked up for safety.
6. PRESCRIPTION MEDICINE(S), FIRST AID SUPPLIES - You will need your medicines even in the aftermath of a disaster. Be sure to bring plenty because it may be a long time before you get more. Bring all first aid supplies even if it is just a box of band aids.
7. PAPER TOWELS, TOILET PAPER, TRASH BAGS - No explanation needed.
8. SOAP, SHAMPOO, TOOTHPASTE, ETC. - You will need to keep yourself clean.
9. BOARD GAMES, CARDS, A BOOK OR TWO - These will be used during a little downtime before bed or during any other free time that may come available. There may not be any electricity, so don't plan on just watching movies or playing video games.
10. ANYTHING ELSE YOU CAN THINK OF TO HELP MAKE LIFE AFTER DISASTER A LITTLE MORE ENJOYABLE.
PLEASE NOTE: EVERYTHING EXCEPT CLOTHING, BEDDING AND PRESCRIPTIONS WILL GO INTO HOUSE STORES FOR EVERYONE'S USE.
YOU WILL BE EXPECTED TO WORK FOR THE HOUSE EACH DAY. THE FOLLOWING LIST IS TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF WHAT WILL BE EXPECTED OF EACH PERSON. THE WORK INVOLVED WILL DEPEND ON THE NEEDS OF THE HOUSE.
1. DAILY CHORES - These will include, but not be limited to, cooking the meals and cleaning up afterward, washing clothes and hanging out to dry, sweeping the floors, cleaning the bathrooms.
2. HUNTING AND FISHING, AS NEEDED - This will also include cleaning the kill or catch, filleting as needed, and preparing for cooking. The hides will also have to be scraped, salted, and stretched to tan. Sewn together, even small hides can be used to make clothes.
3. GARDENING, AS SEASON ALLOWS - This will include, but not be limited to, starting seeds inside in late winter, tilling ground, planting outside, weeding, watering, and harvesting. We may even can or dry any extra vegetables should the crop be good.
4. HAUL WATER AND PURIFY IT - Kentucky Lake is one mile away. The water will need to be purified before it can be used.
5. CHOP OR GATHER FIREWOOD - When the propane runs out, or to supplement it to make it last longer, we'll cook outside on an open fire, weather permitting. We will have to heat our water this way for washing dishes, general cleaning, bathing, etc.
AND ANY OTHER TASK REQUIRED TO HELP THE HOUSE SURVIVE.
REMEMBER - NO WORK - NO EAT - NO EXCEPTIONS!!
THIS IS SURVIVAL - NOT CLUB MED!